Considering that it has taken me 25 minutes to remember my blog site name, password to the blog, email associated with the blog, and the email's password, I'd say it's been too long since I've last visited blogspot.com.
And in reading back on my blog, I've failed miserably as a mom documenting my dear child's every move. While I'm 9 months behind, I'm going to begin with the present and hopefully work my way back. I will note that the only reason I'm back on here is because of my yearly two week hyatus from work allowing me the time to sit down with my thoughts and type.
I should rename this post "The adventures of potty training". T is almost 22 months and I decided this morning we'd start working on leaving the diapers behind. Several people will tell me that he's too young. To that I say "who the heck cares and would you like to pay for his diapers?". Who says kids have to be the magic age of 2 to begin potty training? And why in the world do I want to continue changing diapers. T's daycare has said when we're ready, they'll do their part during the day. The kids loves a sticker so there is his incentive. So today started our journey.
My potty training guidelines:
1) I'm in no rush. He'll get it when he gets it
2) I'm not rewarding w/ candy. Dr. Emily S. Krouskop will applaud me for this
3) I'm not using pull-ups. I think they're an over-priced, very clever marketing scheme and I'm no fool ;)
4) One # at a time (for those who don't get that, call me. I'm not putting it in writing)
5) I have posted the one and only potty post to Facebook. No more. The world does not need nor should they care about Truett's bathroom habits. He'll appreciate this one day.
The one story I did post today was:
I had been asking T all day if he needed to potty. He'd say "no" but we'd go anyway. I wasn't using a timer (like I said, no rush) just asking when I remembered. He has had a rash for about a week and we had a doctors appointment scheduled for this afternoon. (he has the human version of Parvo, by the way) So there we are, naked and waiting in his diaper and socks when he says "potty" and points to the door. Great...now what do I do. The only time all day when he's indicated he needs to go, we're away from the comfort of our own cushy, kid size potty seat and "Elmo goes to the potty" book AND our stickers! Now the real problem- how do I help him go? His little tush is too small for the seat; he's 2 feet tall so he can't just stand??? So I try and hold him over the toilet and just pray for aim. Unfortunately he sticks his foot in before anything happens (that may actually be a fortunate thing) and now we're naked with no diaper and one wet sock. Oh well, the diaper and tennis shoes go back on.
We'll be home for 4 more days and will continue with our stickers and Elmo. "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~Lao Tzu (I wonder how old Lao was when he was potty trained?)
And because I also refuse to post pictures of T using the potty (although we have plenty), here's a picture from Christmas of him being dunked in his new basketball goal.
I hope to be back sooner rather than later. Until then, Good night!

No comments:
Post a Comment